Tenancy Deposit Scheme
Are you ready to rent buy or sell your property?


Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

  • Built
  • Sale
  • Rent/To Let

You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property to sell or rent.

New legislation changes took effect as from the 9th January 2013

An EPC is required as follows:-

  • Individual house (i.e. a self-contained property with its own kitchen/bathroom facilities) &- one EPC for the dwelling.
  • Self-contained flats (i.e. each behind its own front door with its own kitchen/bathroom facilities) – one EPC per flat.
  • Bedsits or room lets where there is a shared kitchen, toilet and/or bathroom (e.g. a property where each room has its own tenancy agreement) – No EPC is required.
  • Shared flats/houses (e.g. a letting of a whole flat or house to students/young professionals etc. on a single tenancy agreement) – one EPC for the whole house.
  • Mixed self-contained and non-self-contained accommodation – one EPC for each self-contained flat/unit but no EPC for the remainder of the property.
  • A room in a hall of residence or hostel – no EPC is required.

There are fixed penalties for failing to provide an EPC/make one available when required. The fixed penalty for dwellings is £200 per dwelling. There is a six month time limit for any enforcement action to be taken.

For more information please visit